Local Focus, National Acclaim
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System is a regional medical center offering Southwest Florida’s greatest breadth and depth of care. With its flagship, 895-bed, acute-care hospital in Sarasota and the new 110-bed SMH-Venice hospital, the system has been consistently recognized as one of the nation’s largest, and best, with superior patient outcomes, advanced specialties and a range of preventive screening, diagnostic and post-acute services. Sarasota Memorial aims to offer our community the highest-quality healthcare and best patient experience in the nation.
Some of Sarasota Memorial’s accomplishments that recognize our focus on your care:
- Highest 5-Star national rating for quality
- Sarasota Memorial is the only hospital in Florida to have consistently earned the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid’s highest 5-star rating for overall quality and safety since the rating system launched in 2016.
- “A” Grade for Patient Safety, Fall 2021
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital has received consecutive “A” grades for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group — a national organization that evaluates hospitals’ efforts to protect patients from preventable injuries and harm — since SMH began participating in Leapfrog’s survey in 2016.
- Named among the World’s Best Hospitals by Newsweek, 2021
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital was once again named one of the World’s Best Hospitals in the 2021 global ranking of hospitals compiled by Newsweek magazine, in collaboration with global market research and consumer data company Statista Inc. SMH was one of 13 Florida hospitals to make the list, which spotlighted 2,000 hospitals across 25 countries.
- Named among Top 100 Hospitals in US, 2020
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital is one of the 100 Top Hospitals in the US, named by IBM Watson Health in 2020. Chosen from 3,134 hospitals across the country, the Top 100 Hospitals outperformed peer-group hospitals on all evaluated clinical and operational performance benchmarks.
- Nationally Accredited Cancer Institute
- The Brian D. Jellison Cancer Institute at Sarasota Memorial carries the nation’s highest level of accreditation by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (CoC). It has maintained continuous CoC accreditation since 1988.
- Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the most prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and high-quality patient care.